The Department of Computer Sciences will consider applications from graduate students who have uniformly excellent graduate records in CS courses for addition of the CS major, with the intention of completing a second master’s degree, in CS. The following conditions must be met:
1. Submit a letter from their major department attesting to their status in that program, indicating the expected completion date for their terminal degree.
2. Have obtained grades of AB or better in at least three CS courses numbered 500 or above in three different areas of computer science. At least one of these courses must be at the 700 level (not including CS 900). These courses must have been taught by a CS department faculty member.
3. Have two letters of recommendation from CS department faculty members, at least one must come from a core CS faculty member. These letters should attest to the student’s satisfactory performance in CS courses completed to date, and their ability to complete a master’s degree in CS.
4. At least one of the courses for requirement #2 must have a significant amount of programming in a structured language. This requirement is waived for students who have taken CS 367 (which does not count toward the master’s in CS).
5. Provide a completed add/change major form and their student record to the CS graduate coordinator, along with the other application materials described above.
Note that a student in dissertator fee status who is admitted to the CS master’s program loses his or her dissertator fee status. Dissertators who add a program or a certificate program must enroll and pay fees as a regular graduate student. This is a Graduate School rule.
Meeting these requirements guarantees that your application will be considered for admission to the program. However, it does not guarantee admission.
Applications for second major MS in Computer Sciences are accepted three times during each academic year, with deadlines of (a) one week before the start of classes in the Spring term (for admission in Spring term), (b) the last day of classes in Spring term (for admission in Summer term), and (c) one week before the start of classes in the Fall term (for admission in Fall term).
There are no retroactive admissions. Decisions concerning admissions will normally be made within two weeks of each application deadline.
Students should also check the Graduate School requirements for a double degree. Note that in order to obtain an MS in Computer Sciences students must fulfill the requirements stated in the CS Graduate Guidebook (PDF).