The University of Wisconsin - Madison Computer Sciences Department offers study toward the M.S. degree and the Ph.D. degree in Computer Sciences. The Department is consistently ranked in the top ten CS departments in the U.S. Key features of our graduate program include:
- Internationally recognized research programs and state-of-the-art graduate courses in a broad range of areas. Our Research Projects and Research Groups pages provide further information about these active research programs. Extramural research funding exceeds $7 million annually.
- A tremendous learning environment for graduate studies in CS.
In addition to state-of-the-art graduate courses and an active seminar schedule (Sep thru May), approx. 200 students are enrolled in our graduate program. 90-95% of these students are supported within the Department with TAships, RAships and fellowships. We grant about 15-20 Ph.D. and 70 M.S. degrees each year.
- Our students obtain many competitive fellowships and awards.
Honors regularly awarded to our students include competitive Best Paper awards, fellowships from NSF, Microsoft, Intel, IBM, and U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security, Departmental fellowships and research awards, ACM Student Research Competition and Programming Contest awards, and L&S as well as Departmental teaching awards. This year's awards appear in our homepage highlights.
- Our graduates obtain positions in leading CS departments, research labs, and companies.
An important measure of an academic program is the success of its graduates and we take great pride in our graduates' achievements. Many of our Ph.D. graduates are now on the faculty in other top-tier CS departments including Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Duke, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Purdue, Texas, and Washington. Other graduates are making important contributions at leading research labs and companies including Cisco, Compaq, Google, Hewlett Packard, IBM Research, Intel, Microsoft, Oracle and Sun. Still other graduates are at start-up companies or teaching at small colleges.
- Our alumni receive many significant awards for their outstanding achievements. Our alumni awards pages list some of the many honors they have received to date.