Change your PhD major to CS

Currently enrolled graduate students who wish to change their major to undertake a Ph.D. in computer sciences must fill out the grad school change major application form and submit the following materials to CS PhD Graduate Program Manager:

  1. A statement of purpose explaining the reasons for your interest in transferring to the CS graduate program and your previous experiences with our department (courses taken, independent study programs with a CS advisor, etc.).
  2. A copy of your original application to the UW graduate program to which you were admitted.
  3. Transcripts for coursework from UW–Madison and from previous educational institutions, dating back to and including undergraduate institution(s).
  4. Three letters of recommendation from UW–Madison faculty members, at least two of which must be from a faculty member whose primary academic appointment is in CS.
  5. GRE scores from the original application to a UW graduate program, or later scores, if available.

Applications must be received by January 1 to be considered for admission in the subsequent fall semester. Applications are not considered at other times of the year nor for starting times other than the fall semester. International students are responsible for contacting International Student Services at UW to discuss any possible effect the change of program may have on their immigration status.