Sunoco, L.P., the nation’s largest fuel distribution company, is looking for a Data Analyst to join our fast-paced, high impact Pricing Strategy team in Dallas, TX. The Pricing Strategy team is responsible for developing and executing our pricing strategy for over 1,200 individual stations, a large and growing business segment that generates >$500MM in gross profit annually.
The Data Analyst will use their programming acumen, problem-solving ability, and communication skills to create, deploy, and maintain workflows that provide stakeholders with analytical tools ranging from reports to predictive models.
While our impact is significant, our team is relatively small which also means this individual will have regular, direct access to senior leadership within the organization and the opportunity to consistently work on high-impact strategic projects in addition to core data analytics responsibilities.
A small subset of the types of projects this individual might work on include:
- Quantifying elasticity of demand to help us optimize price
- Developing predictive analytics based on competitor pricing
- Consumer segmentation/clustering
- Forecasting annual site performance
- Developing reports to help managers better guide their teams and optimize gross margin
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write and maintain SQL, R, and Python processes meant to assist various departments in accessing and analyzing business data
- Analyze internal, market, and customer-level data on sales, revenue, price, opportunity, etc. to deliver insights and support decision making for key stakeholders
- Direct data-driven projects from definition to execution: defining metrics, experiment design, and communicating actionable insights
- Manage tables in SQL databases to support analytical projects and initiatives
- Monitor and maintain SQL database health by identifying data quality issues and working with the appropriate team to resolve them
- Support strategic projects and analytic/research requests that impact business decision making and overall direction of the organization
The wide variety of projects requires a self-starter attitude, critical judgement skills and a deep understanding of core statistical functions and how to apply them. As a result, this role is a fantastic opportunity for anyone looking to join a growing organization on a fast-paced, collaborative and high-impact team.
Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements for this position are listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related quantitative field
- 2 – 5 years of experience doing quantitative analysis
- Core statistical knowledge, including supervised and unsupervised machine learning methodology
- Fluency in SQL, R, Python
- Knowledge of DevOps and version control systems (ex. Azure DevOps, GitHub)
- Familiarity with visualization tools (ex. Tableau, PowerBI)
- Experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Comfort with manipulating and handling large data sets through statistical software (ex. R, Python) or other methods
- Experience with A/B testing
- Distinctive problem-solving skills and an intellectual curiosity to solve unique and complex problems
- Strong work ethic and ownership orientation with a high level of self-motivation
- Comfortable with technical discussions and ability to effectively communicate to a range of potential stakeholders
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Usually, normal office working conditions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time due to prolonged periods of sitting or standing