Information for Visitors
Getting to the Department
DRIVING: Madison is easily reachable by Interstate highways from Milwaukee (1 hour), downtown Chicago and Chicago Midway (3 hours), Chicago O'Hare airport (2.5 hours) and Minneapolis (5 hours). Note: The Interstates in Illinois are tollways.
BUS: There is regular coach bus service to Madison from downtown Chicago, Chicago O'hare airport, Rocksford (IL) and Janesville (WI). Check out the Van Galder bus web site.
PARKING: Information about parking near the CS Department is here.
AIR TRAVEL: Madison Airport (Dane Country Regional Airport - MSN) is 15 minutes from campus and is served by several major airlines including:
- American (through Chicago O'Hare, St. Louis, Dallas and NY Laguardia)
- Continental (through Cleveland and Newark)
- Delta (through Atlanta and Cinncinati)
- Midwest Express (through Milwaukee and Kansas City -- note that the Milwaukee connecting flight is frequently delayed or cancelled)
- Northwest (through Detroit, Minneapolis, Memphis, Washington National, and NY Laguardia)
- United (through Chicago O'Hare and Denver)
CAR RENTAL: All the major rental car companies are located at the airport.
TAXI: If you're not familiar with Madison, a taxi ride to the campus area is typically around $15-20 and will will save you some confusion. Also, many of the hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport and campus.
Finding the Computer Sciences Department
Here are suggestions for places to stay when you visit Madison.
Madison has a wide variety of wondeful restaurants for every taste and price range. Here are some suggestions that are strictly personal opinions, but may help you locate a good meal. When all else fails, head down to State Steet and follow your nose!