Alumni and friends, please join us!
In 2014, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Computer Sciences celebrates fifty years of exceptional teaching, research and scholarship. Join us in Madison September 12-13 to celebrate our shared achievements.
Events will take place at Union South and the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery. Reminisce with friends and mentors while making new connections! We’ll honor the past while looking to the next half-century. If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Smith (608-262-0620).
Online registration (both general & student registration) is now closed as our capacity has been reached.
Curious who's attending? Information about who has registered will be updated periodically here.
Celebration Schedule (view/print a detailed schedule via the link at the bottom of this page)
Friday, Sept. 12 - 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Drinks, live jazz and mingling at Union South (3rd floor spaces; registration outside the "Industry" room), with a tailgate-inspired dinner to follow. Chat with old friends in the new Union South, which opened in 2011. If you haven’t been on campus in a few years, you’ll be amazed how much has changed! Badger attire encouraged.
If you arrive on campus early, SACM (a student organization) is hosting a "TGIF" get-together from 1-5:30 p.m. in the 6th floor lounge of the Computer Sciences Building; all are welcome!
Saturday, Sept. 13, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday events include:
- Breakfast buffet, casual lunch, afternoon refreshments, and elegant dinner provided (vegetarian options available at all meals; suggested dinner attire is "business casual," or whatever you feel most comfortable in)
- Emeritus professors (including Charles Fischer and Seymour Parter) reflect on department history
- Talk by alumna Carol Bartz, former CEO of Yahoo! and Autodesk
- Alumni panel with Pavan Nigam (Founding Partner, Inspovation Ventures and Founder, Badger Entrepreneurship Forum) and Leng Tan (Senior VP, Oracle) on their career paths in CS and how Wisconsin shaped it
- Drop-in, interactive showcase by students on their innovative projects
- Afternoon reception for current team members and "alums" of HTCondor
- Evening dinner with entertainment by the UW MadHatters and remarks by Letters & Science Dean John Karl Scholz
- Free time to explore campus, see what’s new, and mingle with friends
- Optional tours of the stunning facilities at the Discovery Building, where several CS faculty are Discovery Fellows
Auxiliary activities: Several subgroups within Computer Sciences are planning add-on events that will take place before or after the main celebration. These events are being directly organized by the specialty groups, and we'll post information about them in this section.
- A computer architecture brunch is scheduled for Sunday morning (Sept. 14); those interested should contact David Wood.
- HTCondor will also host a Sunday breakfast; visit their page for details about special events for friends of HTCondor.
The following are suggested hotels. For more ideas, visit the website of the Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau.
(at Union South)
1308 W. Dayton St.
|UW Fluno Center for Executive Education
601 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53715
877-773-5866 toll free
|Best Western Plus InnTowner and The Highland Club
2424 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53726
|DoubleTree by Hilton Madison
525 W. Johnson St.
Madison, WI 53703