Requirements for the CS Certificate
Whether you are majoring in a physical, biological or social science, you can enhance your career with a background in computer systems. The Computer Sciences Certificate is a program designed to enhance and validate your computer-savvy knowledge for your future in graduate school and/or the job market.
Compared to a Computer Sciences major, the Certificate requires fewer courses and offers more flexibility in choosing courses.
You are eligible to enroll in the Computer Science Certificate program if:
- you are currently enrolled in a bachelor's degree program at UW-Madison and
- you are not in the Law School, and
- you are not majoring in Computer Sciences, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering,
- you are a special student at UW-Madison who has already received a bachelor's degree in a major area other than Computer Sciences, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering.
To earn a Computer Science Certificate, a student must complete 6 Computer Science courses, each worth at least 2 credits, and each with a minimum grade of C, including the following:
- CS302 and CS367 (or equivalent transfer or AP credits)
- at most 4 courses below the 400 level
- at least 2 courses at the 400 level or above
- for students currently enrolled in a bachelor's degree program at UW-Madison: at least 50% of the credits must be in residence here at UW-Madison; for Special Students: at least 12 of the credits must be earned in residence here at UW-Madison, either while enrolled as a University Special student or from undergraduate course work at UW-Madison; in both cases, non-graded (S/U) courses taken in residence cannot be used
Note that completing just CS367 counts as completing both CS302 and CS367 (and in that case, only 5 courses total are required).
The following courses may not be used for the CS Certificate: CS250, CS298, CS304, CS368, CS371, CS402, CS550, CS699 and CS915.
CS638 may be used if and only if it has been approved for use towards the CS Major.
For further questions about the Computer Sciences Certificate please contact our Instructional Program Director:
Instructional Program Director
email: perryk at the cs.wisc.edu server
office: 5353 CS
|CS Certificate Course Plan||86.39 KB|